This year we are making a conscious effort to reduce our dependency on single-use plastics at Farr Festival 2017.
Since its mass production began in the 1940s, plastic’s wide range of unique properties has propelled it to an essential status in society. More than two million tonnes of throwaway plastic bottles are sold each year, with only a small proportion made from recycled materials.
To put things into perspective Farr Festival 2016 amassed a total of 33 tonnes of rubbish, which is about four times as heavy as an Elephant. This year we want to significantly reduce that tonnage by implementing the following:
- All plastic straws, cutlery and cocktail stirrers banned.
- Asking all festival-goers, crew and artists to bring a reusable water bottle.
- Making it easier to get fresh clean water by installing free water taps across the site.
- Biodegradable glitter available from The Mermaid Cave.
- We kindly ask you to respect the woods and dispose of your rubbish in a bin.
- Any left over tents and camping equipment to be donated to charity.
Vegan glitter and eco style boutique The Mermaid Cave will use biodegradable glitter to decorate all you beautiful people and will donate 10% of their profits to the Oceans Care charity. Take a look at head mermaid Zoe's top festival essentials below and head over to their Instagram channel now to be in for a chance to win a Mermaid Cave Makeover!